Your right to work in the UK as a foreigner currently depends on where you are traveling from as well as what type of work you are looking to carry out. If you are coming to the UK for employment purposes, you may well need a UK work visa as well as a job offer in order to take up employment.
The UK is currently an EU member state, meaning that citizens from other EU/EFTA states have the freedom to travel to and work in the UK. However, following the Brexit vote in 2016, the situation for EU/EFTA nationals is likely to change by 2019.
For non-EU/EFTA nationals, the United Kingdom created a UK immigration points-based assessment in 2008 which controls the flow of workers from non-EU/EFTA countries as part of a managed migration process. Immigration and the right of foreigners to live and work in the UK is a heated topic and recent governments have tightened regulations, including penalizing both employers and landlords who do not carry out sufficient checks on employees and residents. Recent changes to UK work visas include increasing salary thresholds and language requirements, as well as closing some of the UK work visa categories.
Can I work in the UK sponsorship ?
If you are a citizen of an EU/EFTA country, you currently have the right to live in the UK and work without the UK work visa. All non-EU/EFTA citizens will need the UK to work visa to work in London and other areas of the country. Nationals from some countries are able to enter the UK and stay for up to 6 months without a visa but they are not permitted to do paid or unpaid work.
UK work visa requirements
If you are a non-EU/EFTA national wanting to work in the UK, you will need a work permit the UK relating to the type of work that you are doing. Most of the UK work visas require sponsorships from the UK-based employer so you will need to have secured a suitable job and sponsorship before applying for the UK work visa. UK work visas are not currently available for casual or low-skilled employment, so it is not possible to enter the UK on another type of visa and take up casual, temporary or low-skilled work.
You will also need to apply for a Biometric residence permit if you are staying in the UK for longer than 6 months.
The following groups of people are exempt from UK work visa requirements:
If you move to the UK on a UK family visa to join relatives, you are entitled to work.
The UK immigration points-based assessment system
Your eligibility for a UK work visa is determined by the number of points you score on the UK points system. Points are awarded for the following in this system:
Types of UK work visa
The following types of UK work visa are currently available:
Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa – a UK work visa for those recognized as leaders in science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology and the arts. This needs to be endorsed by the UK Home Office and only 1,000 of these visas are issued each year. It is valid for up to 5 years and can be extended for another 5 years.
Tier 2 (General) visa – a UK work visa for those who have been offered a killed job (annual salary at least £25,000) and have been sponsored by licensed organization related to their employment. It is valid for up to 6 years.
Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa – A UK work visa for those whose oversea employer has offered them a transfer to a UK branch, on condition of sponsorship. The visa can be valid for between 6 months and 9 years, depending on the position offered.
Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa – a UK work visa for those who have been offered a job within a faith community, on condition of sponsorship. The visa is valid for up to 3 years and can be extended.
Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa – a UK work visa for elite sportspeople or qualified coaches endorsed by their sport’s national governing body. The visa is valid for up to 3 years and can be extended for a further 3 years.
Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – a UK work visa for those engaging in temporary work as a charity volunteer, sports person or creative worker, religious worker, on a government authorized exchange or as part of an international agreement, providing sponsorship has been secured. The temporary UK work visa is valid for between 1 and 2 years, depending on the purpose.
Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa – a UK work visa for those aged 18-30 from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea or Taiwan, who have at least £1,890 in savings. The visa is valid for up to 2 years.
Domestic Workers in Private Household visa – a UK work visa for private domestic workers, who have worked for their employer for at least a year. Valid for a maximum of 6 months.
Permitted Paid Engagement visa – this is a UK visa that can be used for short-term paid work in the UK without sponsorship. Valid for 1 month.
The following types of UK work visa are available for those wanting to work in a freelance or self-employed capacity:
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa – a UK work visa for those who want to set up or run a business in the UK who have access to at least £50,000 of investment funds. The visa is valid for 3 years and can be extended for up to an additional 3 years.
Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa – A UK work visa for graduates with business ideas that have been endorsed by either the UK Department for International Trade or a qualifying UK higher education institution. The visa is valid for 1 year and can be extended for a further year.
Tier 1 (Investor) visa – a UK work visa for those willing to invest at least £2 million in the UK. The visa is valid for 3 years and can be extended for a further 2 years.
The United Kingdom is known as one of the most beautiful places to visit for all the Pakistan visitors because of its culture and glorifying sceneries. While the glorifying sceneries of UK are a sensational topic for all the travellers across the globe, the UK’s culture widely attracts a lot of tourists from all over the world. There are millions of Pakistanis residing in the United Kingdom as of now. If you have your loved ones staying in the United Kingdom, you must visit the UK once in your lifetime.
If you are traveling to the UK on a tourist Visa or on a business visa, and are seeking for information about the visa requirements, the application process to obtain a UK VISA, fee structures, documents, processing time, and lots more aspects, then you have reached the correct place. We have come up with the list of necessary requirements that would help you in obtaining a UK Visa and a chance to travel to paradise.
The Visa process is entirely performed online, which means you will have to fill in the necessary forms online, and give your supporting necessary documents at the UK Application center located in Karachi personally. Apart from Karachi, you can also submit the forms at Lahore, Mirpur, and Islamabad. For all the applicants, biometric have to performed necessarily, and there will be extra charges that have to be paid by the individuals for performing the biometric and proceed with the visa processing by the UK Visa Application center.
Steps for applying for the UK Visa
Below-mentioned is some of the basic steps to apply for a UK Visa from Pakistan:
UK Tourist Visa – Basic requirements
- You will have to visit the official website of the UK government that handles the visas and immigration processes in Pakistan. You can also know more about the applications and processes of immigration followed in Pakistan. Once you are aware of the process, you will have to apply for the UK visa online at the Access UK link present in the website itself.
- You will have to submit your original passport copy which is valid at least for a six-months and should have a blank page.
- You will also be required to submit old or expired passports if any.
- You will have to submit the photocopy of your current passport’s front page.
- You will also have to present the photocopy of Nadra which is issued by CNIC.
- 2 passport-sized current photographs which are not only older than 6 months also have to be submitted as per the UKBA standards.
- Evidence of the arrangements that you have made like the tour details, flight tickets, and details, invitation letters or proof of sponsors immigration status in the United Kingdom.
- Employment letter including your salary structures, position details, hiring dates, and leave dates that are approved should be clearly stated in the letter. If you are a housewife, student, or a minor, and are dependent on your loved ones, you will have to submit the necessary evidence of your spouse or father’s employment mandatorily. You will also have to submit your payslips, IT returns, business registrations related documents, business accounts and statements, employer’s letter, and other mandatory documents.
- If you are a student, you must submit necessary evidence of being in college or schools, or in education.
- You will also have to submit your necessary qualifications documents.
- You will have to submit the evidence of your monthly income mentioned on the application forms. You can provide your monthly bank statements personally in the UK Application center.
- You have to submit your lists of assets or properties that you hold in your name. You can submit the property deeds, mortgage statements, tenancy agreements, letters of an accountant, and land registration documents.
- You will have to submit the proof of accommodation in the UK and travel details like acceptance mail from hotels, flight tickets confirmation details, travel agency confirmation letters, sponsor accommodation necessary details, and so on.
- If you are married and your wife is accompanying with you, then you will have to provide your marriage certificate personally at the UK Application center.
Apart from these, there are also other requirements mentioned in the official website of the UK government that handles the visa applications and immigration. In the case of Business Visa, all the above-mentioned details will also apply along with certain other documents. You can get to know about those documentations by visiting the UK Application Centers or on the publicly available official website.
Some of the key information for all the Pakistanis to apply for the UK visa are as follows:
- You can apply for a standard visa to the UK which would be valid for a minimum of 90 days. Once your visa is expired, you will have to renew the Visa, a week before your visa expires.
- Your passport must be valid for about 6 months before you apply for the UK Visa.
- Quantity of photos required to submit the visa application is 2. Make sure you carry the recent photographs to avoid any mismatching complications.
- The processing time usually takes up to 20 days once you have submitted the application. The processing time in some cases can up to a month or even 45 days depending on the circumstances and the documents you have submitted. In order to avoid this delay, you will have to ensure that all your documents are intact and contain the correct information. In case of any mismatches, the UK Visa application center will reject your applications and you will have to re-apply for the Visa completely, which means you will have to follow the same process from the first.
- It would cost you about 93 to 100 euros in Pakistan to apply for the UK Visa. These fees may incur in splits or at one-time depending on the application centers.
- You will also have to submit the last 6 months bank statements in order to obtain the UK visa. Make sure to have a minimum balance to cover all your expenses, and if you are willing to travel with your entire family, the minimum balance should cover all your family member’s expenses.
These were some of the key features that you have to keep in mind before applying for a UK Visa.